Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] RE: further thoughts on identifier and identity

Michael,

This is exactly in line with the discussion.  I noted earlier the idea of a “sufficient set” of attributes and that the makeup of the set is context dependent.  That gets into both what is the subject of identification and for what purpose.  Strictly thinking that there is one all-purpose set of attributes for all occasions misses all of this.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508

From: Mike Poulin [mailto:mpoulin@usa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:36 AM
To: Peter F Brown; Ken Laskey; Lublinsky, Boris; Bashioum, Christopher D
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

If you do not mind the belate thought, I'd say that OO approach to identity (equality of all attributes) is rather artificial and only seems simple becuase it depends on complexity of each attribute that is not limited in any way.

In "applied mathematics", particularly, in the Cluster Analysis, only so-called "informative" attributes are counted. The informativness depends on 1) nature of clastering, 2) naure of challenged items. For example, in the US, SSN may be enough to define the identity of a person but in the UK NI number (job national insurance) is not enough becuase it does not cover all people living in the UK and even people working in the UK, i.e. additional attributes are need (speak from the personal experience of developing new governance pension scheme for the UK).

- Michael