Subject: RE: Using of the term service

That’s fine, but…

promote the effective creation and use of SOA-based services

seems to be backward SOA is based on services, not vice versa

May be something like this:

                Promote the effective creation of services participating in the SOA ecosystem

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:13 AM
To: Lublinsky, Boris; peter@peterfbrown.com
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Boris - thanks for the detailed suggestions.

Michael – thanks for the detailed comments back

In general, I like Boris’ suggestions and I indicate that below with a few modifications.  If I +1 Boris, I prefer that to Michael’s response.

I agree that not everything is a service in the SOA sense.  However, our interpretation is a bit different.  When service is generally used as defined in the dictionary, anything can be considered a service any time anyone offers to do anything for anyone else.  I refer to these as business services in the broadest terms.  These may have nothing to do with SOA.  While SOA is not merely distributed computing, it incorporates elements of distributed computing and the “services” of primary interest have a software “component” that supports work being done in a computing environment.  When we are talking about SOA services, we concentrate on the software aspect, i.e. the software artifacts specifically developed, managed, and used to provide functionality in that computing environment.  SOA makes the connection between the business and the software by saying we are creating a paradigm that emphasizes the software as a tool for accomplishing the business in a world where interactions of those with different business interests (ownership boundaries) are paramount.

This is where I disagree with Michael’s suggestion to drop “service-oriented” from “service-oriented business processes” and similar phrases.  We are not (should not) be talking about just any business processes, and service here does not mean the general service of the dictionary.  We are talking about services and business processes that are enabled within a SOA ecosystem through the use of concepts and relationships elaborated in the SOA-RAF.  Our emphasis is that many important aspects are not software specific but must be considered if we expect magic in the computing environment.

If we say all services are business services, we contribute to the confusion because at the end of the day, our audience wants to build something (or, more likely, contract someone to build something) and that is the implementations that make things happen.  They need to build SOA services that make certain business services happen.  I think that is the separation but synergy that needs to be made clear.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508