Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] FW: issue 224 and previous proposal

Ken,
I think that we shouldn't get hung up on defining/defending orchestration and choreography, instead we should pursue the points we've all raised around action and activity, and what factors affect how they are executed. I like your points and questions and should discuss the more on the call tomorrow...

Peter F Brown
Independent Consultant
www.peterfbrown.com
Twitter @PensivePeter

Sent from my phone - Apologies for brevity and typos: it's hard writing on a moving planet

From: Ken Laskey
Sent: 03-Jan-12 21:11
To: Peter F Brown; 'Lublinsky, Boris'; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Peter,

I’d say this is the trail I’m on except the “recipe” needs to be followed to the extent necessary to have the agreed upon effect. An orchestration may invoke service 1, then service 2, then service 3 to get the final effect of service 3.  A choreography could give me the same final effect but has the flexibility to take any path.

Now to stir the whole pot: how much flexibility needs to be built into an orchestration that it is indistinguishable from a choreography.  I don’t remember the details of BPEL, but I’m assuming it includes conditional branching.  Could the orchestration above invoke service 1a if service 1 isn’t available?  Is that any different from service 1 failing over to service 1a if there is a problem but not having any branching in the orchestration script?

Ken