Subject: thoughts going into today's meeting

All,

We are in the midst of a spirited discussion on orchestration and choreography, and have Peter’s thoughts on how this relates to message, action, and activity.  Going into today’s meeting, I’d like to point out the following:

-          Action is defined in the Ecosystem view as “the application of intent to cause an effect”.  If, in addition, action is seen as a “set of executable computations”, it needs to be reconciled with the Ecosystem definition.

-          We may not like how the world has tried to slice and dice orchestration vs. choreography but any explanation we give has to be in the context of our audience’s likely understanding.  We cannot just redefine the terms, no matter how much we’d like.  Orchestration != BPEL but most people I deal with immediately relate the two; orchestration often implies a BPEL engine executing a BPEL script.  It is easier saying choreography != WS-CDL because that is stuck in limbo.  But current (mis)understanding has to be our starting point. We can go beyond what we see as confusion and poor practice, but we need to have it grounded in current understanding.

-          The interaction section is one of the earliest to become stable even as other sections have undergone significant changes.  That tells me the section has appropriate grounding although more may need to be said to enable our audience to see where that grounding may not be enough.

-          [Ken musings] Aside from any weaknesses in WS-CDL, I have seen enough challenges when trying to explicitly compose services per a static process flow (orchestration) that a process flow without a central controller is more than people can consider.  This is puzzling in a way because most of life is a choreography without a central controller.  Part of our problem is people want more control – or at least the illusion of control – and it is difficult to represent in software what doesn’t exist outside of it.

If there are to be any significant changes/additions, we need to quickly decide

1.       What points we want to make and where;

2.       Who is responsible for the writing.

For today’s meeting, I’d like to settle on points 1 and 2 and finish adjudicating issues in the nontrivial tab.  If anything needs further discussion, I’d like the meeting to establish what is to be discussed and what outcome is needed.

I have a hard stop at 12:45 today because I have another meeting at 1 PM that requires some travel.  Please try to join promptly so we can make optimum use of the time.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379