Subject: RE: Report on Use of Orchestration/Choreography in NCOIC Members

Rex,

Thanks for the quick input.  Some questions come to mind:
1. How do the NCOIC folks interpret Figures 30 and 31?  Michael had some
particular concerns when applying this in his work.  Boris also had issues.
Can you get us any insight into how the NCOIC folks make use of this?
2. We didn't finish going through Michael's choreography mods but answer to
1 will help us determine what changes (either Michael's or otherwise) may be
useful and what needs to stay the same
3. My realization yesterday (maybe later than some of the group) that
Figures 30 and 31 may be useful in showing examples of compositions but I'm
not sure they really provide a useful illustration of the distinction we try
to make in the text.  If we need to keep Figures 30 and 31 pretty much as
they are, do we need additional models?

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:
703-983-1379

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@ncoic.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:39 AM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org; Ken Laskey

Hi Ken, Everyone,

I wanted to get word to you all immediately that we DO have multiple
companies with internal implementations of the
Orchestration-Choreography section in the NCOIC Services WorkGroup and
the diagrams in particular, so I will be required to fight for retaining
it with only the changes we discussed, and keep the diagrams with the
minimal changes discussed. I don't have much concern that there will be
pushback on our additional note that composition, especially in
aggregations of multiple services will likely include orchestrations and
choreographies in various combinations as needed.

I'm writing now because this feedback already convinces me to insist on
keeping the diagrams. I have not yet asked the military audience, which
I was most concerned about with the DoDAF Metamodel work. Our
clarification of Activity as a collection of actions and joint actions
is pretty certain to please that audience.

Sorry if this upsets any applecarts, but dropping the diagrams entirely
would negatively impact the constituencies I work with most. We also
need to specifically address the comment submitted by Dr. Allen Jones
for Boeing.