Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] FW: origins and interpretation of RAF figures 30 and 31

On the substance – I would like to stop any further discussion for the moment, and pause to take time to agree to the formalization of action and activity and the role of actors (if necessary backed with formal UML activity, collaboration and/or behaviour diagrams – I had hoped to have this ready by today but other projects have taken me away)– and then see how the other elements fall into place – because I think they will. I believe it is own woolly use of ‘action’ and ‘joint action’ which is causing a lot of the (unnecessary) confusion…. My $0.02…

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

From: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Ken Laskey
Sent: Monday, 09 January, 2012 09:54
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov; Thornton, Danny R (IS); ellis@deccs.com

Jeff – thanks for the information below.

All – I pinged Jeff to make sure I was interpreting Figures 30 and 31 correctly, and Jeff’s response below confirms and expands my understanding.  He also provides some other useful tidbits.

To this point, I don’t see us coming up with something fundamental that will deal once and for all with the accumulated ambiguity in the community.  I suggest people submit specific language for points they want section 4.3 to make and we will see about what is already there and what needs to be added.

Guidelines:

1.       The terms orchestration and choreography stay because there is more confusion in them disappearing.

2.       The controller vs. no controller idea seems to be generally unsatisfying but widely recognized.

3.       The current figures (with possible modification) needs to remain.  What we say about the figures is for you to suggest.

4.       The paramount idea is service composition and RAF scope includes concepts (foundational) of how composition can be accomplished but not details in areas of debate.  Caveats and pros/cons are welcome but only as suggested text in suggested locations.

Solve the problem and let’s move on.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508