Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] revised section 4.3

Ken,
Only just seen your mail. I had hoped to do a further short note today but to no avail. I'm in a conference all day tomorrow but could call you first thing Tuesday so that we can iron these points out....
Cheers,
Peter

Peter F Brown
Independent Consultant
www.peterfbrown.com
Twitter @PensivePeter

Sent from my phone - Apologies for brevity and typos: it's hard writing on a moving planet

From: Ken Laskey
Sent: 22-Jan-12 17:27
To: Peter F Brown; 'Rex Brooks'; 'Michael Poulin '
Cc: jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov; 'Thornton, Danny R (IS)'; ellis@deccs.com; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Peter,

I still need to read the entirety of your comments below with more care and
in more detail but there are a few things that have a feel of being broken.

-          At one point below you say, "the UML construct 'Actor' would also
apply to other roles played by people wrt the ecosystem and social
structures (notably 'Participant' and 'Stakeholder', " but we also have
Actor as only participating through the SOA-based system.  There now seems
to be a connection between Actor and Stakeholder that we didn't have before.

-          The initial introduction of Person for Participant is reasonable
but the later substitution throughout section 3 gets to be a problem.  Our
guide for using Stakeholder vs. Participant vs. Actor is the two paragraphs
after the definition of delegate just before section 3.1.2:

o   actor <>  is used when it is not important whether the entity is a
delegate <>  or a participant <>

o   If the actor <>  is acting on behalf of a stakeholder, then we use
delegate <>

o   If the actor <>  is also a stakeholder <>  in the ecosystem, then we use
participant <> .

-          As noted, you "avoid modelling 'Participant is-a Stakeholder AND
is-a Actor' (former figure 4)" but the text continues to make significant
use of Participant.  However, Participant no longer appears in any of the
models and seems especially lacking from Figure 5. If we decide "Person
participating" is preferable, there are a lot of changes that need to filter
through.

-          One existing glitch I noted in this vein is the definition of
Delegate is when "acting on behalf of a participant <> " but the next
paragraph says, "automated agents are always delegates, in that they act on
behalf of a stakeholder." By our previous models, it latter should be
Participant.

To Michael's question about Activity, we introduce the concept with a
paragraph and a diagram but don't seem to make use of it otherwise.  I can
see noting this in the appendix where we talk about coordinating with the
SAIF CD work and possibly even formalizing it in section 4.3. Do we plan to
go further and, if so, how do you propose we proceed?

I need to deal with some things around the house and will study this further
before Wednesday.  But any further clarification would be appreciated.

Ken

P.S. I think Rex's "blue man" reference was the rough orchestration diagram
I put in the revision to section 4.3.  I don't mean that exact diagram to be
included but I put it in as a placeholder to see if we thought it is worth
further consideration.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:
703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508