Subject: Re: getting back to testing

Hi Ken,

Here's the original from the fifth paragraph of 5.4.2 Testing and the SOA Ecosystem

"...Testing of SOA artifacts for use in the SOA ecosystem differs from traditional software testing for several
 reasons. First, a highly touted benefit of SOA is to enable unanticipated consumers to make use of
 services for unanticipated purposes. Examples of this could include the consumer using a service for a
 result that was not considered the primary one by the provider, or the service may be used in combination
 with other services in a scenario that is different from the one considered when designing for the initial
 target consumer community. It is unlikely that a new consumer will push the services back to anything
 resembling the initial test phase to test the new use, and thus additional paradigms for testing are
 necessary. Some testing may depend on the availability of test resources made available as a service
 outside the initial test community, while some testing is likely to be done as part of limited use in the
 operational setting. The potential responsibilities related to such "consumer testing" is discussed further
 below.

Here's How I would add a subheading:

"... Testing of SOA artifacts for use in the SOA ecosystem differs from traditional software testing for several
reasons. First, a highly touted benefit of SOA is to enable unanticipated consumers to make use of
services for unanticipated purposes. Examples of this could include the consumer using a service for a
result that was not considered the primary one by the provider, or the service may be used in combination
with other services in a scenario that is different from the one considered when designing for the initial target consumer community.

5.4.2.1 Continuous & Adaptive Testing

Because it is unlikely that a new consumer will push the services back to anything resembling the initial test phase to test the new use, there is a need for additional paradigms for testing, namely Continuous & Adaptive Testing.. Some testing may depend on the availability of test resources made available as a service outside the initial test community, and this is what we refer to as Adaptive Testing. Meanwhile some testing is likely to be done as part of limited use in the operational setting.We often think of these as one-offs, the market has shown thee ability push beyond boundaries and if we fail to discover these instances and incorporate them into Continuous Testing, we face the possiblity of failing unexpectedly. Such Limited uses have the potential for rapid changes. Without the paradigm of testing continuously by using such novel and possibly subtle unexpected changes introduced by innovative users we will encounter difficulties.. The potential responsibilities related to such "consumer testing" is discussed further below.