Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] RE: getting back to testing

May be out of the context but I'd mentioned somewhere that testing of SOA services must appreciate multiple dependencies/interrelationsips between services, which can cross the ownership and adminstrative boundaris as well as the boundaries of the test environent.

- Michael

----- Original Message -----

From: Ken Laskey

Sent: 05/02/12 10:01 PM

To: rex.brooks@ncoic.org, soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject: [soa-rm-ra] RE: getting back to testing

Rex,

I’ll look at this in a bit.

To somewhat rephrase your points:

-          Testing early and often is needed but not all testing can be done in isolation.

-          Testing does not end with acceptance/deployment because changing ecosystem can result in untested conditions.

-          Continuous monitoring is a continuation of testing.  This implies an efficiency in using monitoring tools early as part of testing.

-          Service monitoring needs to include reacting to anomalous conditions.  Reaction could be, but is not limited to, isolating the service or informing consumers of anomaly. Reaction needs to be responsive, flexible, and appropriate,  e.g. don’t issue advisories to tell people that the network is slow, thus only adding to the load.

OK?

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508