Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] issues 235 and 236 [was: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - SOA-RAF-Minutes-May 23-2012.doc uploaded]

I am sorry for missing our meeting today - my work meeting went over the planned time.

I support Ken's edition (in red below) about orchestration.

As of "service-oriented business collaboration" (which is a buttery butter to me), let me notice that "those service-oriented processes" are nothing more than service orchestrations, i.e. the presented statement is about a choreography language that must be able to describe (define) an orchestration. Isn't this an 'abra-cadabra' ?

Also, business collaboration is naturally manual/human service centric form of relationshhips. In some cases, collaborating parties may offere their automated services as part of their business services. I am saying "in some cases" because according to the definition of business collaboration, participants are ready and may be obliged to modify their internal business services/process for the purposes of collaboration. This is not suitable for automated services. As a result, a business collaboration maps on SOA into automated service cooperation.

Thus, in magirity of cases, business collaborations is for human-centric business services where some automated services may cooperate.

Here is my proposal for the choreography statement:

<<In a service-oriented business collaboration, a choreography must be capable of addressing those service-oriented processes that cross organizational boundaries.  In case of an upset of automation, the choreography should provide for contingencies including, as with orchestration, human intervention.>>

- Michael

----- Original Message -----

From: Ken Laskey

Sent: 05/23/12 07:37 PM

To: 'Peter F Brown', 'Rex Brooks', soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

One other item for consideration: I had an action to deal with issue #235.  I’m not sure if we missed going over that or it wasn’t minuted.  In either case, my suggested response is:

added paragraph to end of section 4.3.5.1:
Orchestration is typically considered in the context of automated processes; however, human actors may also take part.  This may be particularly important in cases where the automation fails and human intervention becomes necessary.

In addition, in response to issue #236, I modified the last paragraph in section 4.3.5.2 to read:

In a service-oriented business collaboration, a choreography language must be capable of describing the coordination of those service-oriented processes that cross organizational boundaries.  In case of an upset, the choreography should provide for contingencies including, as with orchestration, human intervention.

These issues are still open pending acceptance of the above or further revision.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508