Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] REMINDER: call tomorrow 17 October 2012, 1130 AM ET

Just FYI:

What I have done in the past is to be careful to cite the exact document even if it is deprecated and I think we may want to do this even if we need to keep a copy of the cited reference in our own repository to remain consistent.

It is not the best possible solution, but facing a wholesale re-rendering of our work, I think it would be preferable.

On 10/17/2012 12:46 PM, Peter F Brown wrote:

Jeff,

Sorry I didn’t read this before sending out my note a little earlier but I share your concerns regarding 42010. We may need to discuss this after all…

Cheers,

Peter

From: Estefan, Jeff A (3180) [mailto:jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 October, 2012 09:31
To: Ken Laskey; Peter F Brown; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Danny Thornton; ellis@deccs.com

Ken et al.,

Agree on accepting Danny's comments and updates to the visual models since these are relatively minor editorials and that Danny was the original author of those particular sections of the RAF.

With respect to Rich Hillard's comments, we have a problem of phasing here.  The 2011 update to the 2007 version of the 42010 standard (which was an ISO fastrack of the original IEEE 1471) is not an insignificant change.  Even the word "architecture" has been redefined and the core conceptual model has also changed, e.g., the addition of model kind and model correspondence to a name a few changes.  It would take quite a bit of effort to really assess our compliance with the 2011 update to 42010 and I do not believe there is sufficient resources to do so.  So my question for our resident expert in standards evolution, Peter, is how do we handle such an evolution of standards when one standards organization makes reference to an other standards organization's work and/or vice versa?  We have invested n years in development of our work around an existing standard and now at the 11th hour, that standard has changed.  (Incidentally, the new update to the standard is not yet a year old.)

Just as an FYI, we have NOT adopted the 2011 update to the 42010 in our work at the Laboratory because we have not had the opportunity to measure the impact, i.e., cost for us to transition to that new standard. It does not matter top us that a particular standards organization has deprecated an existing standard.  I can assure you that the cost issues are raised when it comes to standards audit time.

Wish I could have made the call today, but since I'm the one who pressed us to go with the 1471 in the first place all those years ago, it is important that I express my concerns.

Please give me a call.  My contact number is below.

Cheers…

 - Jeff (818) 393-5280 (office)