Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Proposed edits to SOA-RAF Committee Specification Public review Draft

Ken,
I'm ok with all your suggestions.
As regards 42010, the reference has been moved from the normative to the non-normative list of references, rather than be deleted.

Regards,
Peter

Sent from my phone - Apologies for brevity and typos: it's hard writing on a moving planet

From: Ken Laskey
Sent: 05-Nov-12 18:51
To: Peter F Brown
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

A few comments on the draft distributed by Peter:
- In the abstract, can we just say we're using IEEE 1471-2000 and leave the details of 42010 for section 1.3.1? That would be cleaner.
- In the abstract, there is a strike-thru the added ANSI.  Is this supposed to be deleted. In any case, it should be consistent with section 1.3.1.
- In section 1.3.1, I suggest the following be used as the first paragraph:

The SOA-RAF structures its analysis based on the concepts defined in ANSI/IEEE 1471-2000, “Systems and Software Engineering – Architecture description” [ANSI/IEEE 1471]. ANSI/IEEE 1471 was eventually approved as ISO/IEC 42010-2007 and subsequently superseded by ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011 [ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010].  Although the more recent standard modifies some of the original definitions and introduces new material, the modifications and additions were not found to significantly impact the SOA-RAF analysis.  As such, the SOA-RAF follows the definitions and structure of the original standard.

An architectural description conforming to ANSI/IEEE 1471-2000 and ISO/IEC 42010-2007 must include the following six (6) elements:

- In section 2.2, we note the dual designation of ANSI/IEEE 1471 and ISO/IEC 42010, but [ISO-IEC 42010] was deleted from references. Should the dual designation be noted in the references?
- The remnant remaining in line 1945 seems awkward.  Would we lose anything by deleting completely?
- For line 1949, did we close on the question of whether the mediator led to simpler or a more complex infrastructure?  Consider instead, "Mediated awareness provides consumers and providers with a straightforward approach to mutual visibility."
- In a later email I suggested (but not strongly) that we keep lines 1974-1977 as a way for the reader to connect with a familiar and concrete example.
- In Acknowledgements, Kevin Smith should affiliate with his company and Michael Poulin is no longer with Fidelity.

Ken