Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - Event "SOA-RAF" modified

Rex,
 Thank you. It is really interesting.

I can offer a little bit (As we said in Boston a few years ago) of help.

First, I worked out a list of basic (major) concerns every Cloud consumer has to place into the contract with a Cloud provider; it is available at http://www.mpoulin.com/my-blog/, scroll list of topics to Basic Checklist for Cloud Consumers, Part 1, and then, Part 2. Am idea is in that Cloud provider can use this list to configure the Cloud offering in line with those consumer's concerns.

Second, you mentioned use-cases. These days I am debating 'business case vs. use case' with members of OASIS Cloud Authorization TC. I am saying that it is impossible having use cases for something that is not defined yet. The logical way is starts with Business Cases, i.e. with business needs, define the system features, characteristics, interfaces, and only then define  use-case scenario. I accidentally uploaded a Business Case Template into our OASIS Document list and have not removed it yet. You can find it useful despite it relates to authorization.

Best regards,
- Michael

----- Original Message -----

From: Rex Brooks

Sent: 02/21/13 04:50 PM

To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Mike,

I will be giving a report on this at our next SC meeting. The short answer for now, yes, but it is not a conscious or quotable choice. I will have to take up the issue with those folks in NCOIC who have worked on Cycle 1 of  the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) project to develop a geo-community cloud.Cycle 2 will start up in about a month with an official RFP for which we should give thought to submitting a proposal. They are structuring it along lines that are essentially the same as what we discuss in the SOA-RAF. However, there are a lot of permissions I will need to solicit, so we can't say that yet.

For a number of reasons, it is politically advantageous (e.g. it requires engaging  less govt bureaucracy), to make the use-case scenario for the NGA project one of humanitarian assistance. That is actually very good timing for us because, as the OASIS liaison, it means that I will have a ready audience for the Emergency Services Operational (Net-Centric) Pattern which uses the standards from the OASIS Emergency Management TC, and explicitly uses the OASIS SOA-RAF and SOA-RM.

So there are a number convergences that I will make the case for with those from whom I need permission to quote or from whom I want to solicit a statement of use for our push to make the SOA-RAF an OASIS Standard.

Then there's the whole NATO Communications and Information Agency connection, but that does not come close to using our SOA-RAF, unless or until they discover their need to help develop an international SOA Ecosystem. It is in their interest but I/we still need to make the case for them.