Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Proposed Role Descriptions for SOA-RM Editors

Hi Everyone,

I refrained from saying anything yesterday while I caught up on
background materials, and notified the chair that I had not received
the notification about yesterday's first meeting, but this happens to
be an issue with which I have a lot of experience on all sides of the
roles under discussion.

Someone MUST take responsibility for the overall document(s). There
is simply no way that I know of to get work done reliably and with
clear accountability otherwise. Also, from experience, after this
initial rush of interest dies down and the work starts becoming more
humdrum and mundane, and everyone realistically assesses how much
time such a task actually involves, the generosity of spirit we see
now will inevitably diminish.

Matt, as egalitarian as your ideals appear to be, I think the implied
lack of structure as applied to a systematic approach to building a
document or documents will simply be unworkable.

Also, just as a slight adjustment to the thinking I see here, I think
it would be best to consider the task first and worry about the
credit later. I, for one, applaud all the volunteers, especially
because I simply could not take on such a role with my own current
commitments, so, however, the task of editor is eventually resolved,
I think it bodes well for this effort that there are so many
volunteers at this stage. Let's hope we field a stable set of editors
and adopt a workable framework for moving the work and the
document(s) forward.

One suggestion as to process: please consider developing a set of
real world business and institutional scenarios first, then develop a
set of specific exemplar use-cases, for which I, personally, would
prefer formal UML models, then, based on these models, derive
specific, testable requirements in a formal Requirements Document(s)
against which the specification(s) can be reliably tested to ensure
that the requirements are met.

I think Ken's list of questions is a good place to start to ensure we
don't leave anything unconsidered, such as the needs of Academic
Institutions or NGOs. Also, I understand that the underlying
assumptions about a "Reference Model" per se, mitigate against a
specific code-able specification or specifications, but, I think, if
you look at similar Reference Models, such as those contained in the
Federal Enterprise Architecture Framework, you will find that scoping
such efforts in terms of real world examples may help us avoid some
pitfalls. Anything we can include by reference strikes me as a good
idea.

I just noticed a new message that clarifies positions about UML, so I
better post this before it becomes even more obsolete.

;-)
Rex

--
Rex Brooks