Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Proposed Role Descriptions for SOA-RM Editors

Rich-

Your suggestions have prompted some thinking on how we organize ourselves.

It seems to me that on this TC there will be less documentation than is the case on most TCs. I think however that the product we produce will require a significant amount of wordsmithing. That is we will be expressing ideas, many of which have no precedence so conveying the concepts will require crafting the words and presentation more than usual.

In other words instead of producing the Encyclopedia Britannica our product will be closer to the Gettysburg Address – short with impact.

This to me means we need editors who are good at wordsmithing. As a result I like Matt’s suggestion of rotating those people who want to participate in the editorial process. It will provide an opportunity for the full TC who are the authors to see the various styles as well as ideas to form the final product.

In addition I support having a glossary as an appendix on the TC’s product. The glossary should be close to the last aspect we work on because we want the terms to reflect their use in the TC’s product. The glossary represents another opportunity to convey abstract concepts and get the understanding that is the TC’s goal.

Sally