Subject: RE: [soa-rm] On UML

Ken started an *excellent* list of questions that will help to flesh out
the SOA RM and our assumptions about it.  Based on that discussion
thread, the UML vs. mind-mapping discussions and the technical vs.
non-technical discussion, I suggest that we should first agree on *who*
the intended audiences of the reference model are?  Having a clear
definition of intended audience will direct the content, representation
and tone of the components/sections/portions of the reference model.  It
may also resolve the editorial approach discussions as well.

I don't believe that saying technical and non-technical audiences is
sufficient clarification.  There are several types of "techies" that all
require different types of information.  Are we distinguishing between
them?  For the non-technical, are we providing material only at the
executive primer level?  I know that when I first start exploring a
reference model or standard, I would find it tremendously useful to
understand what the target audience is and to frame the problem somewhat
before presenting the solution.

With specific reference to Ken's original email ...
<Quote>
Might it not be good to start by listing the capabilities an SOA
enables?
</Quote>

I would add that we consider both technically and business-oriented
capabilities.

Again, my 2 cents.

Rebekah