Subject: Re: [soa-rm] On UML

If the goal is to cover all of these different levels, then a simple
model will not suffice. What you are describing here is the need for
a multi-level, multi-view model with increasing resolution as you
traverse from level to level. (By increasing resolution, I mean
concepts which might be important at the "developer" level will not
even appear at the "CIO" level.) Is it possible to
capture such a model using a "simple" modeling language?

At any rate, I think you have a valid point, namely we need
to fix the goal (multi-level model vs single-level model vs ?) as
this may put more constrains on how the TC should operate and what
tools are appropriate.

Cheers,

Greg

Metz Rebekah wrote:
> I am all for the using the simplest presentation for the intended
> audience.  I do believe that we'll eventually need to reach into the UML
> toolbox to provide useful information for those that "design and
> implement of service oriented architecture."  I wonder though, will we
> successfully reach others who are involved in SOA, say the executive who
> needs to make a business case decision for re-engineering business
> processes along SOA principles, by presenting what they perceive to be a
> technical model?  Will they relegate it to the IT domain without further
> consideration?
>
> If we take Joe's recommendation to reach back to the charter, I see
> several potential categories of audience that we need to reach some
> agreement on:
> 1)  Those that pay for SOA initiatives
> 2)  Those that design SOA (or design according to service oriented
> principles)
> 3)  Those that implement above the line services
> 4)  Those that implement service oriented infrastructure
> 5)  Those that document SOA
> 6)  Those that must govern services and/or SOA
> 7)  Those that must re-engineer their processes to align with a service
> oriented model
> 8)  Those that want to sell service orientation (consultants and
> vendors)
> 9)  Those that want to leverage the SOA-RM for further standards work.
>

> Looking at this list, we need to come to some common basis of SOA
> principles too.  Most of us involved in the technical aspects of service
> oriented evolution are familiar enough with  SOA principles to almost
> take them for granted, but reaching the larger audience, both technical
> and non-technical, beyond early adopters will probably require coverage
> of the very basics.
>
> Rebekah

G.A. Kohring
C&C Research Laboratories, NEC Europe Ltd.