Subject: On UML

The issue with UML are
1. A somewhat spurious sense of formality. In fact, the semantics of
even UML 2.0 are less than clear on even the basics such as what does
inheritance mean?
2. The strong bias towards one relationship: isa, when in reality we
will need a great many more relationships: describes, has, owns,
implements, responsible-for, correlates, etc. etc.
3. The strong bias (on the part of certain vendors) to automatically
generating code from UML, resulting in a tendency to 'go concrete' very
quickly.

An alternate suggestion: mind maps. A mind map is simply a collection
of concepts and relationships connecting them. V. simple, and in my
experience v. flexible. It is also possible to develop rigour by
mapping into predicate logic.

Frank