Subject: Re: [soa-rm] On UML

Personally, I do not think that mind maps/concept maps are 'informal'.
They have at least as sound a basis as does UML. (More so in some
cases).

However, UML does also come with some other kinds of diagrams: the
sequence diagram, use case etc. There are other issues with sequence
diagrams; (like the difficulty of modeling distributed systems) but
they may well have uses for our work.

Here is another thought; about audiences: busy executives will not read
very much; life is too short.

The WSA was structured into three main sections:

1. An introductory overview which tried to capture informally the
'essence' of what was described. 2. A (long) section describing the
architecture itself
3. A (not long enough) section analyzing the architecture from various
perspectives: security, manageability, discovery, etc. This section was
called the stakeholders' section: it tried to capture different
stakeholders' perspectives.

The diagrams were used as a kind of index into the main text itself:
they were not normative but merely there to help bring everything
together. I think that a lot of people found the diagrams helpful for
precisely that reason.

However, I would like to emphasize and defend the global structure. A
busy executive (who is so busy that he/she will probably ask someone
else to read our document) is most likely to read the overview and one
or two of the stakeholder's sections.

The central part of the architecture, the technical meat of it, is
where we, as presumed professionals, tried to hammer out the key issues
and where the results ended up being most precisely expressed. In any
case, no formal language (UML, logic, concept maps, English) can hope
to capture everything intended. But often a concept is most clearly
defined using a short English sentence. Concept maps (and UML for that
matter) are not so good at definitions; but are good at illustrating
relationships.

The stakeholders' sections are, IMO, very important. They explain to
particular audiences the reasons for choices made in the architecture
and they explain how the architecture addresses relevant issues.

Frank