Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Definitions

Don:

Thank you for these initial submissions.  There are certain terms that
we already have defined in our charter.  For example, architecture is
defined as "A software architecture for a system is the structure or
structures of the system, which consist of elements and their externally
visible properties, and the relationships among them."  Although this
(along with everything else) is open for discussion, I would rather
press ahead and keep this definition for now since it is abstracted from
generally accepted software architecture principles and widely agreed to.

The other definitions should remain in the abstract, not concrete tense
when defining.  An example of how this may affect certain definitions:

Instead of:
"Agent (requester or provider) - Concrete piece of software or hardware
that sends or receives messages in an SOA transaction."

An abstract tense is:
"An entity acting on behalf of another entity to fulfill a task".  This
is in no way specific.

It as not even been established that messages are part of the core
reference model, in fact, I would state they are likely not necessary to
be present in all implementations.  A application's service may have a
binding that allows someone to submit a message to it, but that message
does not have to be physically sent to make the application "service
oriented".  Messaging , of course, is absolutely necessary when building
a concrete service oriented architecture.

Messaging is also not present in a transactional sense in all SOA's.  I
would consider Bluetooth an SOA yet it does not only employ point to
point-cast messaging.  It also uses broad-cast and point-to-multi-cast.

Duane Nickull

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html