Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Architectural Scope of Reference Model

Thomas:

Thank you for this very elegant summary!

I think the answer may be in the definition of a "reference model" vs.
"architecture".  I think case studies will help clear up this
confusion.  A reference model will normally not contain "messages" as a
component.

1. Please look at the OSI Reference model.  This is a communication
stack yet it does not contain messages:
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/comms/std.7layer.html

This does not contain any "message" although messages will occur in
implementations using the reference model

2. The ITA Reference Model likewise does not have "messages":
http://www.ewita.com/earlywork/itarefr.htm

3. RCS Reference Model
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/documents/messina/euro_cast.pdf

Again - no messages even though there is an element marked
"Communications" in figure one.

The reference Model should not contain "messages" as a component.  That
belongs in architecture or implementations based on the reference
model.  I have never encountered one reference model with concrete terms
in it.  If it had such, it would not be abstract.

We must think abstract, not concrete.

Duane Nickull

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html