Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Requesters vs. Consumers

I would argue that clarity on the owning relationship is critical to
large scale systems. Consider an ASP that is hosting the ERP systems of
many businesses -- using shared resources to achieve economies of
scale. A given computer/software component may be acting on behalf of
any number of owners in a dynamically changing fashion. Currently, this
is sorted out by not sharing -- by using different computers and/or
different software invocations.

Again, consider the situation of a third party service: delivery
services or brokers for example. Such a service is acting on behalf of
many players, and may have a quite separate owner. At different times
the same software/hardware entity is acting on behalf of different
entities (consumers or providers).

One simple definition of ownership revolves around control: control is
a relationship between an agent and a resource that gives the *right*
to manage and use some aspect of a resource. Ownership is a
transferrable right: you have the right to control the resource, and
the right to transfer that right. Without either control or
transferability you don't have ownership. (Renting gives the right to
control, but usually not the right to transfer that right)

This stuff is definitely at the edges of our concern here. But, I
believe that explicit, machine processable, policies are part of the
future -- if only to help us manage large systems.

Frank