Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer"

Greg

Following the concept in the "Web Services Architecture" specification
we should should separate the owner (human), from the agent that is
defined in that spec as software.  This is implied in your definition 2.
The spec further divides the owner and agent into a requester and
provider.

Putting those pieces together:

An Agent is a software program acting on behalf of an owner.
(Note that there can be indirection in the control by the owner.  For
example, the owner might control the agent by means of policy, directly
invoke the agent, put control directly into the agent code, etc.)

A Service Consumer is an agent that wishes to interact with a service.

I would lean more to the former spec's use of Requester Agent rather
than Service Consumer since the request might not be successful and thus
not consumed.

Symmetry seem to demand similar constructs on the service side.

Don

--
Don Flinn
President, Flint Security LLC