Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer"

Frank,

I agree with the proposed definition of service requester - I also wanted to
"amen" the distinction between a service agent and the "owner" or "person"
for whom the interection is taking place.  One additional thought concerning
this distinction, however. Although I do believe every service has an
"owner", a service requester is not necessarily a fixed entity, vs. a role
that an entity can play.  In other words, a given service may be providing a
service on one hand, and yet be a service requester on the other hand.  In
this case, the "person" that ultimately initiated the interaction may have
done so a few services back

I guess there is one other possibility.  Perhaps what you mean is that a
service that acts as an agent on behalf of a person (i.e., a browser
service) is a service requester, and any other service is just a service.

Thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank McCabe [mailto:frank.mccabe@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 12:00 PM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

There is a distinction between the software *entity*
(agent/component/J2EE bean/.../) that interacts with a service in order
to achieve some goal, and the person or persons for whom that
interaction is taking place.

The reason that this distinction is important is similar to the
distinction between a service interface and the service itself:
accessing your bank account from an ATM or on-line will use different
interfaces but ultimately all use the same service.

Here is an example of why its important: the appropriate business logic
to apply to a service request will depend on many factors: the means by
which the request was delivered, the request itself and the person (or
persons) for whom the request was made. This last aspect is completely
independent of mode of requesting and is purely business/application
specific.

Incidentally, the above definition: "an agent that interacts with a
service in order to achieve a goal" seems to be a reasonable definition
of a service requester.