Subject: Types of Services (RE: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer")

I wonder if the roles a service can play - or, perhaps one can say, the
general types of services that can exist - have any bearing on our RM at
all, in an indirect way.

Put in simple terms, one may say that there are - in general - 3
overarching "types" of services. These correspond to 3 of the layers of
the general "integration stack" (data, application, and process):

(1) Data-Oriented Service: Primary role is to accept and process data,
or provide data based upon a request.

Two general types:

(a) Data Processor*: Accepts as input a set of data, processes that
data, and (optionally) sends a response. The response may simply be an
acknowledgement, or another set of data to be processed by the service
requester**.

Ex: Simple form acceptance service, such as a loan application form
service acting on behalf of multiple banks (routes to proper bank and
sends back acknowledgement to form submitter)

(b) Data Provider: Provides streaming data, or a set of data upon
request.

Ex's: RSS news feed (streaming data), stock quote (set of data upon
request - given stock ticker symbol)

*need better term - using this for illustration purposes only
**using term "requester" for now since we have not established our
perferred term

(2) Application-Oriented Service (aka "Function-Oriented Service"):
Primary role is to accept a command and carry out processing based on
that command, in a singular fashion (i.e. does not invoke other
services).

Ex's: Inventory verification service (accepts item #, responds with
whether or not it is in inventory), shipment cost calculation service

(3) Process-Oriented Service: Similar to Application-Oriented Service,
but invokes other services in carrying out its processing (i.e. it
embodies the definition of an overarching process).

Ex: Order processing service (checks customer credit, checks inventory,
does shipment cost calculation, etc.)

Thoughts?