Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Semantic Meaning of Message

Thus we need the capability for an entity to invoke a service, to
receive the results of that invocation back (e.g. some data, some
report on a change of state, some response about the extent to which
the request was satisfied), and to be informed if the invocation failed
in some standard way (that the invoked service could respond with a
standard fault message) or in a way that the infrastructure needed to
intercede. What architectural pieces does this imply?  I would see
- a mechanism to generate a request,
- a mechanism to carry the request to the service,
- a service mechanism to receive the request,
- a mechanism to generate a response (per request or fault),
- a mechanism to carry the request back,
- a mechanism to receive the response,
- a mechanism to monitor that a request and/or response has entered the
"carry" mechanism and intercede in case of fault within that mechanism.

Now you can say that we assume some of that exists outside the SOA we
will define, but you've got to say it!

What other patterns (e.g. I need to find a certain type of service)
imply what other needed mechanisms?

Ken

On Mar 31, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Vyas, Neeraj wrote:

> With respect to the question -- If "message" is too "concrete", what is
> the abstraction?
>           I think abstract concept could be Service Request, Service
> Response and Service Fault. So in any case service consumer will send
> the request to actual service to consume it and would accept a response
> from it, or in case of failure of service execution it would except the
> cause of it (fault information). So in my opinion while defining a SOA
> reference model we need to define what request/response/fault model one
> should use. Concrete concept can be Message, Event, Input/Output
> Parameters, Exceptions, etc. based on the communication channel one is
> using. Service can be defined as Request only or Request-Response, this
> information can be collected from the service meta model.
>

> Thanks and Regards
> Neeraj Vyas
> CA Computer Associates
> neeraj.vyas@ca.com

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-883-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-883-1379