Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer"

Ken,

I do not think the details are required - but in most models (let me count
the ways) security considerations are not considered until the end are then
shoe horned in at the last moment. Particularly in highly distributed models
the need for identification increases dramatically in the business cases I
am observing where experience has moved well beyond simple configurations.

At some point the black box may look like a black hole :^) - these are
security or at least identity capabilities that need to be at least
understood as potential attributes of the black box.

--Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 12:36 PM
To: Andrew Nash; Frank McCabe; Chiusano Joseph
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Andrew,

 From a RM perspective, is it necessary to note these distinctions or just
that a black box exists to deal with the overall capability?

Ken

At 12:09 PM 4/11/2005, Andrew Nash wrote:

>The type of authentication required will certainly vary depending on the
>type of service and the "domain" in which a service or its requestor
reside.
>So different "strengths" or other attributes of a particular authentication
>credential are important in different contexts. This will also be different
>between a credential that may be used to represent a human participant and
>the web service or consumer.
>
>Financial institutions are certainly interested in performing correlation
>among a collection of services to detect phishing or other fraudulent
>activity. To do this most of the folks I have talked to require an identity
>associated with the transaction "originator" to be used in conjunction with
>the identity of one or more of the web service, requestor or
intermediaries.

>--Andrew

-----
   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-883-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-883-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /

------

smime.p7s