Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Definition: Services

I do not like this definition since it assumes that all services are
used for business processes, which is simply not true.

I liked Matt's definition from this morning or some variation of it.  We
had one from the SOA Q&A we did and referenced it form the charter.  Not
sure if this one still works or if it rubs folks the wrong way.

Q: What is a service?

A: A service is a contractually defined behavior provided by a component
for use by other component(s) based on the contract.

Google had too many definitions ranging from Church services to
implementation specific definitions.  Didn't find anything there that
was abstract.

I tried to write another one:

Service: an externally visible behavior of a component offered for
consumption by other components.  not happy with that.

The W3C technical note had a pretty interesting definition, albeit once
more implementation specific to WS*:

          2.3.2.10 Service

            2.3.2.10.1 Definition

A service is an abstract resource that represents a capability of
performing tasks that represents a coherent functionality from the point
of view of provider entities
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#provider_entity> and
requester entities
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#requester_entity>. To
be used, a service must be realized by a concrete provider agent
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#provider_agent>.

            2.3.2.10.2 Relationships to other elements

a service is a <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#isa>

    resource <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#resource>

a service performs

    one or more tasks