Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition: Services

I think, in our attempt to define what a service is, we will need to
distinguish between the world of business processes and the software world
which automates some aspects of those processes. (Here by business, I mean
the domain of interest or problem domain)

This distinction will allow for qualified terms such as business service,
software service, and functional service:

A business service represents a step or set of steps within a business
process that is atomic and potentially fully automatable. For example, an
openAccount business process may contain an atomic step such as
identifyCustomer which is a business service.

A functional service is a software service which automates all, or part, of
a business service. A functional service is an abstraction which defines the
contractual aspects of a service independently of the implementation
technology choices. By definition, is always 'business' focused.

A technology service is the realization of all, or part, of a functional
service in a given implementation technology. For example, a Java operation
invoked using RMI, or a Web Service could both be elements of technology
services.

A second important distinction is between design-time and runtime. At
runtime, objects that offer services may be associated with state. Consider
the indetifyCustomer software service. At runtime this software may be
associated with more than one set of customers, that is, it might be
deployed multiple times pointing to different data. Is this one service or
many?

Yet another aspect we need to take into account is the service granularity.
A service specification can be represented at a number of candidate levels
ranging from a typed set of operations (usually referred to as an
interface), to the more abstract notion of a set of such interfaces.
Further, some existing definitions of service refer to the set of interfaces
which constitute a particular interaction between parties (for example a
CORBA service or a WSDL composition), whereas some focus on the
responsibilities of a particular party (or role) within that interaction
(Design by Contract approach).

George
George Ntinolazos BSc(Hons), MSc, MBCS

Product Director
Strata Software Ltd.
Office: +44 (0)1483 422515
Mobile: +44 (0)7966 652063
www.stratasoftware.com
Best Practice for Service-Oriented Architectures