Subject: Good SOA reading - book by Chris Kurt, Louis Felipe Cabrera

TC:

I am reading a new book by Chris Kurt et al called "Web Services
Architecture and its' specifications", Microsoft Press.  While it is
concrete, some of the text is highly relevant to us.  I would highly
recommend the book based on my reading so far.

Here are some key excerpts:

"... Service orientation is an abstract set of ideas and concepts that
can be manifested in a number of ways....Web services can be used to
implement a SOA system, but service orientation does not necessitate the
use of web service protocols, nor does the use of web service protocols
ensure that the overall system design is SOA".

This validates our positioning and is how the TC founders viewed the
relationship.  He did a much better job of eloquently stating it however ;-)

There is a discussion that relates to the "Data Model" on the MNPP.
While in the book it refers to the concrete XML Infoset, the definition
is interesting and highly relevant:

"The (data model concept of RM) models ... a set of information items."
Paraphrasing this to equate it to the abstract concept of data model,
which includes the building blocks for conceptual parameter exchanges,
might be a good definition.

Chapter 3 also starts discussing some more advanced concepts of the
metadata in WSA.  Chris used the term "contract" in roughly the
equivalent way we have.

"Contracts are the central concept to express the capabilities and
deployment constraints of services ... as well as the abstract
capabilities of the service".  While we do not care about the concrete
deployment constraints, we do abstract the concept.  Perhaps we can
abstract this definition with ours.

Contracts are expressed using different types of metadata.  The closest
translation to our RM would be the data model and the policy
(capabilities and requirements).  Policy is interesting because it can
also include the notions of constraints on how a service may be consumed
(perhaps a flag for security).

The core concepts of services being autonomous and opaque are also
embraced in this book.

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html