Subject: Re: [soa-rm] RE: Definition of Reference Model (Was RE: [soa-rm]Definition of "Service Consumer")

Martin:

To discuss this issue, I would first like to refer to BPM as just
"process management" since we are not scoping it to "business"
environments only.

Once again, I will assert the following:

=> There is no need to make architectural distinctions between a service
that is consumed as part of a process vs. one that is not.

One of the core principles in the W3C Web Services Architecture,
Microsoft's Web Services architecture and ebXML is the concept that
services are autonomous and granular. Accordingly, they themselves have
no notion of state other than their policies and contracts for
invocation. One service does not care that it is step 3 of 5 in a
process. It is true that at some higher level, some functionality may be
layered on top of an SOA infrastructure to coordinate a process
executing or failing and rolling back to an agreed upon state. I would
state that this layer is probably what the analysts refer to as "POA".
This does not preclude a service from being aggregated as part of a
composite application.

The existence of "service" in the reference model does not limit it to
only one service in a concrete implementation. Examine other Reference
Models like the OSI stack. It is a communication stack reference model
yet it does not have a process or more than one instance of the stack.
That is because it is abstract.

The concept of process orientation is best left to a POA reference
model, which in itself may rely on SOA. Much like the characterization
of web services relationship to SOA, I would state the following axioms
and ask the editors to capture these.

=>
"The principles of SOA can be used to implement a process oriented
system, but process orientation does not necessitate the use of SOA, nor
does the use of service orientation ensure that the overall system
design is process oriented."

=>
"Architecture may concurrently be both service and process oriented"

I have no doubt that many SOA implementations in the future will have
some form of process management. It makes a lot of sense in many
applications.

Duane

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html