Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Definition: Services

Hi George,

    I agree and find some inconsistency in the definition of service
throughout the industry. I've noticed some varying definitions of
"service" from various sources:

"A service in SOA is an exposed piece of functionality with three properties:
	The interface contract to the service is platform-independent.
	The service can be dynamically located and invoked.
	The service is self-contained. That is, the service maintains its own
state." BEA Dev2Dev

"A service is a callable routine that is made available over a
network. A service exposes an interface contract, which defines the
behavior of the service and the messages it accepts and returns. The
term service is often used interchangeably with the term provider,
which specifically denotes the entity that provides the service."
    IBM Developerworks

"A service is a unit of work done by a service provider to achieve desired end
results for a service consumer. Both provider and consumer are roles played by
 software agents on behalf of their owners."
Webservices.xml.com (O'Reilly)

"A service is a function that is well-defined, self-contained, and
does not depend on the context or state of other services."
service-architecture.com

Thanks,
John Harby
http://www.jmhsolutions.com