Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Groups - Generic SOA-RM Boot Camp (SOAReferenceModel-Generic-rev1_05-03.ppt) uploaded

I agree completely with all of Martin's thoughts. To also cite an
example from the PPT:

<Quote>
The TC is asking itself these questions:
What elements are common in all implementations of SOA? ( be careful -
think about this)
(Paraphrased) What are the core things that make SOA service oriented?
</Quote>

I believe that something can be a "core thing that makes SOA
service-oriented", yet not necessarily be present in all implementations
of SOA.

That also begs the question: If we are truly looking for elements are
common in all implementations of SOA, how can this really be done? Given
that SOA has such a disparity of clarity in the world (even though some
of us do have their own solid definitions of it in their mind:), how can
we really be sure what "all implementations of SOA" need or have? Also,
it is possible to really know this? Not trying to be flippant here, but
I don't think it would be reasonable for us to survey all SOA
implementations that exist.

Given that there is a lot of concrete (though I know that term is
subjective) information out there regarding SOA (e.g. CBDi, ZapThink,
WebServices.org, XML.org, vendor papers, etc.), a concern of mine is
that if we are too abstract, people will automatically gravitate toward
the concrete anyway (human nature) and our work will be lost in the
shuffle.

Let's give the world something they can *truly* sink their teeth into
and use in their everyday work,without having to take the time to figure
out "what do they really mean by this?". IMO, if it passes that test,
then we have done tremendously well.

hp/12276/SOAReferenceModel-Generic-rev1_05-03.ppt