Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Architectural Scope of Reference Model

I tend to think of things in terms of their metadata and the diagram in
the document I submitted has service metadata as a central concept.  I
would be interested to see how you would modify it or do you have a
very different idea?

Ken

On Apr 14, 2005, at 4:21 AM, Gregory A. Kohring wrote:

> I am not sure about the inclusion of "Service Descriptions".  If by
> this you mean "describes what the service does", then this is just
> one facet of a larger set of metadata associated with a service.
> In this large set I would include quality guarantees, policy
> statements, "contract" (in the sense used in the
> "programming by contract" communities) and "contract" (in the sense
> used by the legal community).
>
> Perhaps "Service Metadata" would be a better choice for encompassing
> these more general concepts...
>
> -- Greg
>
> Duane Nickull wrote:
>> I would like to use the term "advertising" for now as a placeholder,
>> knowing full well we may all agree another term may be substituted
>> later.   I think that we all conceptually agree that the premise is
>> "to make the existence of a service known to all consumers on a
>> fabric" or some variation and that "advertising" may or may not be
>> the best term to represent the abstract concept.
>> To recap, it seems that this concept is one of the pillars of SOA.
>> It's implementation may take many forms {(pull, push)
>> (publish/subscribe) (multi-cast, unicast, broadcast, point
>> cast)(...)}.
>> That means that we have reached consensus (correct me if I am
>> mistaken) that the SOA RM contains the following elements:
>> 1. Services
>> 2. Service Descriptions
>> 3. Advertising/whateverwecallit - the ability to make the existence
>> of a service and/or details thereof available to consumers on a
>> fabric
>> 4. Datamodel/whateverwecallit (includes the abstract notion of a set
>> of logical instances of data a.k.a. an abstract concept of a message,
>> possibly includes the concept of semantics)
>> We have not all agreed to the following things, but have no
>> substantial disagreement they are not in the SOA RM:
>> 5. Contract - is it really a policy?  Is it a core part of the
>> reference model.  If it is a policy, does it imply the abstract
>> functionality represented in the security component of a concrete
>> architecture?
>> The next set if items are likely not included in the core RM, yet may
>> be mentioned to illustrate functionality.
>> 6. Service consumer
>> I am very impressed by the progress to date (assuming I have not
>> jumped too far to conclusions).
>> Duane
>> Smith, Martin wrote:
>>> Ken - -
>>>
>>> Register?  (implies some official or at least "well  known" place
>>> where things are registered.)
>>> Publish?  (more general term without the commercial/spam connotation)
>>>
>>> To me, "advertise" implies "push"; register/discover and
>>> publish/subscribe are "pull."  Advertise also implies use of a
>>> variety of communications methods, including registration (e.g., in
>>> the Yellow Pages) but also product placement, spam, etc. that might
>>> be considered dysfunctional.
> [...]
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379