Subject: RE: [soa-rm] RE: Definition of Reference Model (Was RE: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer")

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 8:49 AM
To: Duane Nickull
Cc: Smith, Martin; Chiusano Joseph; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org; Thomas Erl;
Metz Rebekah
Subject: Re: [soa-rm] RE: Definition of Reference Model (Was RE: [soa-rm]
Definition of "Service Consumer")

Duane,

I think we need to consider what elements seem to have a significant
relationship to an SOA and at some point document our rationale for
what made it in and what didn't.  I find the earlier discussion about
orchestration to be a good example.  Orchestration sounds like
something that is intrinsic to the SOA cases most of us find most
interesting but is it something fundamental or just another service
that does, well, orchestration.  Security may fit that same mold (but
something still tells me it's special).  In any case, I think it might
be helpful if part of our eventual findings include a specific
discussion of what is in and how things on the outside are really
addressed by things on the inside.  Otherwise, interested parties will
relive our debates without the benefit of knowing why we came to our
conclusions.

Ken

On Apr 14, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:

> Brings us back to the basic questions once more ;-)
>
> -- What elements are common in all implementations of SOA that make it
> SOA?
> (Paraphrased) What are the core things that make SOA service oriented?
> -How do we describe those as abstract concepts?
> -What relationships exist amongst those concepts?
> -How do we represent those concepts without referencing concrete
> implementations.
>
> I am preparing a set of slides for newcomers to the TC. I will post
> them by the end of the week for review by the TC. I want to make sure
> that everybody is in agreement with the content - it should be scoped
> to things we have reached consensus on. The purpose is to use it to
> get new TC members up to speed ASAP.
>
> Duane
>
> Thomas Erl wrote:
>
>> Martin,
>>
>> This brings us back to an earlier discussion about determining the
>> scope of our reference model. The definition of the term
>> "architecture" we have chosen for our charter makes reference to
>> "elements that comprise the structure of a system". To determine our
>> scope we need to start by setting the boundaries of and identifying
>> what constitutes a system within the context of an abstract RM.
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Smith, Martin"
>> <Martin.Smith@DHS.GOV>

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379