Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Groups - SOA Service Description Proposal (#295437 v1 - SOA Model for OASIS_05-04.doc) uploaded

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments!

One of the most problematic issues with respect to models is the level of abstraction.

If we agree that an implementation is based on an architecture which is derived from a model which has its principles founded in a meta-model whose context is set by a meta-meta-model then yes I think my stuff might be a bit too abstract. To restate:

Meta-meta-models
	generalize
Meta-Models
generalize
Models
generalize
Architectures
	generalize
Implementations

So where do I put my comments? Perhaps the Meta-Model layer? You might be right.

But I do think we should allow domains to express themselves somehow in some generalized way. For example, a security policy is inadequate as it is not able to express completely the entire required security continuum and usually defers to governance anyways.  We need a broader brush and a pseudo-mathematical approach may satisfy some of the expressive issues. For example, defining a service in technical and non-technical terms using words is very, very hard to do. Sometimes words do not get the point across well, as we all know. Words can add value but in this instance may cause dissention.

Also, by giving a placeholder to known and not known domains allows for expansion and representation for the architecture to define as they wish.

Perhaps I should add more content first before I turn too many people off.

Have a good day,

Wes