Subject: Sub Comittee and/or User guide

All:

I have read through the last batch of email.  There are a couple of
things I would like to propose for comments. Please read this entire
email before replying.

1. I will concede that many members of the public will likely have the
same kinds of trouble interpreting a reference model vs. a reference
architecture vs a specific architecture as seems to be pervasive on this
list.  If we have the problem in our context, it is likely to be present
outside of this list.

2. We cannot redefine what a "reference model" is or what it includes.
If we tried to change the industry definition of reference model to one
that has concrete items in it or things that are not part of SOA (which
is tricky since it is still undefined), it will not be a true reference
model and hence not accepted by industry.

3. Service provider and service consumer are not part of a reference
model.  They are roles visible only in a runtime or infrastructure views
of a specific architecture.  To prove this point, please look once again
at the OSI reference model.  It is a communications stack RM yet does
not contain notions of a message sender and message receiver.

4. We cannot mix abstract concepts and "things people can chew on"
(implying concrete items) in our work.  Such does run adverse to
accepted architectural conventions.

SOLUTION:

One way forward is to probably create a sub committee to work on a
reference architecture for SOA.  A Reference Architecture could be
developed in parallel to the reference model and is fair game to
illustrate things like security, consumers, providers, agents etc.  It
is within our charter to do such.

After reading through some older emails, I would assert that such a
thing is probably essential along with some  sort of white paper or user
guide that explains the relationships between the RM, the RA and other
architecture.

Reference Model
(is a guide for developing a)
[ Reference Architecture || * Architecture ]

There are several people on this list who also have stated specific
needs for what they see in SOA.  Perhaps this may be a good Sub
Committee (SC) consideration also.

Government Service Oriented Reference Architecture???
etc.

I can already see there are many of you who could lead such an effort as
a sub committee.

Comments?

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html