Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Groups - Generic SOA-RM Boot Camp(SOAReferenceModel-Generic-rev1_05-03.ppt) uploaded

Martin:

These are good points we need to understand.  Can I ask for
clarification on a few points.

(1) What is your definition of "distributed"?  This will probably be
important to reach consensus on in our TC.  I googled "define:
distributed system" and found these definitions:
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+distributed+system&btnG=Google+Search

Paraphrased:  Distributed System:  an aggregation of functionality from
several computing entities to collaboratively run a computational task
in a transparent and coherent way, so that they appear as a single,
centralized system.

Some of the definitions talked specifically about being distributed on a
network (not good for RM).  The physical separation aspect is not
something I am clear about WRT being distributed.  Can a chip
hyperthread two processes and aggregate those at a higher level to
appear as an opaque computational task?  Perhaps distributed means
logical separation?  Not sure.

(2)  Even though we have not made a decision WRT BPM in the RM, do you
think we could use a more abstract term for it such as "Management" or
"Process Management"?  This is primarily in recognition of the fact that
not all SOA's are built for businesses.  The concept can be added to our
glossary and will need to be defined.  I also used google to find some
starter suggestions.  I paraphrased several as:

Process Management "..a multi-layered approach to the orchestration of
lower activities, which produces a result for a given customer at a
higher level."

Would this work for folks?  Comments?

Duane

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html