Subject: Re: [soa-rm] service composition scenarios

Duane:
  All your comments are fine. However, there is still the case of what I
have referred to as the "transparent service combination".
  In that case, the services are combined, perhaps without the knowledge
of the owners of those services, in a transparent manner -- where it is
obvious that there are component services.

  A transparent service would typically not have a *single* provider --
or owner. The scenario is something like this: provider A offers a full
meta description of service A, B likewise. A third party offers a
transparent service as a combination of A & B. This third party need
not have any a priori connection to either A or B.

  This is like the difference between a playlist and the MP3 file
itself. The playlist tells you which tracks to play without embodying
the music itself. You can trade playlists, merge them, etc.
independently of the underlying music files.

Finally, there is another situation. Even supposing the intervention of
an offering agent for a combined service, there are likely to be cases
where the abstraction breaks down -- in error cases for example. In
that case you will get faults along the lines of "you did not get your
book because the Fedex dog ate it"

Frank