Subject: Re: [soa-rm] On POAs and SOAs

My personal thoughts on this are that we should be part of a layered
approach.  We should just stick to SOA, perhaps with a non-normative
note that explains the relationship that SOA concepts may be "part of" a
POA.  The reasoning is as follows:

1. If we explicitly associate SOA with POA, we would probably have to
consider other things that SOA can be used within.  This may be a
pandora's box since POA is not the only other architectural paradigm
associated with SOA (Even driven architectures, client-server
architectures, distributed system architectures, component based
architecture, etc.)

2.  POA should probably be defined as a POA Reference Model outside of
the SOA RM.

3. It is not in our charter to tackle POA.

4. POA directly is probably not a core element of SOA, although many SOA
implementations will be used as part of a POA environment.  The main
implications for SOA is that conceptually, services may need to be
robust enough to include the items that POA would demand of it.  This is
very concrete thinking however.  Must stay abstract.

Duane

Frank McCabe wrote:
> I think that the distinction between SOAs and POAs may be getting
> clearer -- although I personally would like to see more clarity on POAs.
>
> However, this leaves a big question mark -- is the *industry* looking to
> us to define what *we* think is an SOA, or what *they* expect to see in
> an SOA.
>
> (Of course, I am aware that there is no *they* there ..)
>
> Speaking for ourselves,  we definitely *include* concepts such as
> security, service composition, management in what *we* think of as SOA.
>
> I would like us to consider whether we can encompass a broader view of
> SOA in our reference model -- specifically to include process
> management/composition. I believe that the security story will come out
> adequately in the current direction of the RM.
>
> Frank

Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  -
http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html