Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Opaqueness and Transactions

Wes:

I have re-thought this a lot too. I now think that a better axiom would
be to state that a service controls its' level of opacity. This is also
an aspect of the concept of the autonomous nature of services.

Services are expected to be implemented across a wide variety of
boundaries and environments. Assuming vastly different implementation
models, a service must remain somewhat autonomous in nature and
assumptions of consistent behavior due to central authorities or
consistent implementation environments cannot be made carte blanche.

Some of the logic behind the autonomous nature of services is that they
must be able to reclaim resources needed to perform their duties. A
service may have several levels of contracts with multiple service
consumers. If a quality of service guarantee is offered to one group of
service consumers, while a second group is offered services on a “best
efforts” basis, the service may decide to end leases on it by the group
with the best efforts group in order to reclaim resources need to
fulfill its contractual obligations with the guaranteed service group.

Does any of this make sense or am I in need of a weekend?

Duane