Subject: Semantics (was: Re: [soa-rm] Re: Autonomous Services?)

Frank:

I just skimmed this work and find it very interesting.  There are a
couple of sections we may wish to ponder in our context.

Section 1.1 - definitions.  Clean separation of the Semantic Model
(probably what also may be termed ontology) from the concept of
semantics itself.  There is also another separation of semantics
annotation (where something like UDEF would be categorized) from the
notion itself.

Section 1.2 - a great depiction of how semantics relate to Data Model.

page 15-16 - I do not see how this XSL instance to OWL mapping:

<xsl:template match="/">
<Address rdf:ID="Address1">
<has_Receiver rdf:datatype="xs:string">
<xsl:value-of select="POAddress/recepientInstName"/>
<has_StreetAddress rdf:datatype="xs:string">
<xsl:value-of select="concat(POAddress/streetAddr1,POAddress/streetAddr2)"/>
</has_StreetAddress >
<has_City rdf:datatype="xs:string">
<xsl:value-of select="POAddress/city"/>
</has_City>
<has_State rdf:datatype="xs:string">
<xsl:value-of select="POAddress/state"/>
</has_State>
<has_ZipCode rdf:datatype="xs:string">
<xsl:value-of select="POAddress/zipCode"/>
</has_ZipCode>
<has_Country rdf:datatype="xs:string">
<xsl:value-of select="POAddress/country"/>
</has_Country>
</Address>
</xsl:template>

varies from what a schema can tell you.  The basic premise of
containership structure allows the same declarations IMO.

I did like the aspect of context specific semantic reference however.
The aspect of context is missing from many semantics works.   An example
- you define something called "party".  Seems easy - a party is an
entity assuming a role within an exchange (or something similar to
that).  The gotcha is in the implementation.  The semantics of "Party"
varies from itself within different hierarchic manifestations.

//PO/Buyer/Party != //PO/Seller/Party

This is potentially a bad example since it could be solved with
ambiguous references but the main notion is that every element has at
least one context qualified.  Luckily, we do not have to address a
solution for this but I hope these folks can.  It looks like their xpath
statement to OWL grammar works conceptually.

Duane