Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Opaqueness and Transactions

I am trying to deal with this in the service section write-up but
unfortunately I haven't gotten back to it since New Orleans.  However,
here are some thoughts.

A service "does something" and that's why you invoke it.  To a certain
extent you can say it is opaque if it requires no inputs and gives no
outputs other than to say it did what it "advertised" but then one can
still draw conclusions on its internal processing based on that.  One
can probably draw  better conclusions based on information exchanges
through the published service interfaces.  In any case, the only thing
that is completely opaque is something that sits in a closed box and
appears to do absolutely nothing. :-)

OTOH, a service may publish metadata that reduces its opacity but does
so to support a consumer's need to make sure it is invoking the
appropriate service.  So some level of transparency may be required and
that may be in response to external needs rather than requirements of
the service processing.  There are also other possibilities but let's
not get into intentional obfuscation.

I will try to do justice to this in the write-up but I expect there to
be many, many comments.

Ken