Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Fwd: [TechRepublic] SOA model for enterprise apps

Title: Fwd: [TechRepublic] SOA model for enterprise apps
<Quote>
I think we will do ourselves a favor if we just slow down to a more deliberate pace, and let this initial flurry of attention and hype subside
</Quote>

Rex,

Is your reference to the flurry above regarding activities within our TC, or externally (the press coverage, etc.)?

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:18 AM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

I thought it might be of interest to note that we are now seeing a bombardment of articles and white papers touting SOA, and providing models and definitions, which strikes me as very indicative of the kind of frenzied activity that we see when a 'buzz' word or concept makes the rounds. This is exactly what I meant when I started working on my recent series of articles on EA-SOA, Fad or Foundation?

I am not going to post the urls, unless asked since it is a four-part series and long enough for a short book by itself and not dedicated to SOA per se, and that is not the thrust of this message, which is, to be honest counter-intuitive. I would like us to simply hold off on pushing forward so vigorously that even if we deliver a spec in record time and letter perfect down to its manicured toenails, it will be lost in this confusion of "experts" including my own contribution to the overall "mess." Also, after having been through several larger efforts to build standards for more narrowly focused technologies, I begin to distrust anything that hasn't taken at least a year to work its way through a vigorous process.

While the editors are to be commended for producing drafts so quickly, I haven't had the time to properly absorb what is on the agenda for today's meeting, let alone what the long term implications and ramifications of these definitions and terms actually represent. Perhaps as another indication of why I find this whole topic somewhat alarming for the rapidity with which it is overtaking both the trade press and the IT providers, I am actually getting an online demo of an SOA-specific product today, which I won't bother naming since I haven't had a chance to view it yet, but the very fact that it pushed its way on to my schedule after last week and in time to overlap with today's meeting, which I will attend even if I am not actively discussing much, supports my point--the hurrier I go the behinder I get.

I think we will do ourselves a favor if we just slow down to a more deliberate pace, and let this initial flurry of attention and hype subside while we pore over this in a bit more thorough way. I recognize that this is unlikely to receive a favorable reception, but the faster we go, no matter how thorough we think we are being, the more I am convinced that our work will be flawed seriously for lack of enough time for our collection of brains to gain sufficient perspective to view our own enterprise here in a more balanced and objective way.

However, in the end, what do I know? Not very bleeping much.

Ciao,
Rex