Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Fwd: [TechRepublic] SOA model for enterprise apps

Rex:

I believe we all share your vision of "technical excellence".

I was actually toying with the idea of getting a shirt design for our
TC. Came up with a rather edgy design - the top would have "OASIS SOA RM
TC in arced letters, the middle with a skull and an eye patch, then at
the bottom the greek words "Μπορείτε να δοκιμάσετε πάλι: "

Duane

Rex Brooks wrote:

> I thought it might be of interest to note that we are now seeing a
> bombardment of articles and white papers touting SOA, and providing
> models and definitions, which strikes me as very indicative of the
> kind of frenzied activity that we see when a 'buzz' word or concept
> makes the rounds. This is exactly what I meant when I started working
> on my recent series of articles on EA-SOA, Fad or Foundation?
>
> I am not going to post the urls, unless asked since it is a four-part
> series and long enough for a short book by itself and not dedicated to
> SOA per se, and that is not the thrust of this message, which is, to
> be honest counter-intuitive. I would like us to simply hold off on
> pushing forward so vigorously that even if we deliver a spec in record
> time and letter perfect down to its manicured toenails, it will be
> lost in this confusion of "experts" including my own contribution to
> the overall "mess." Also, after having been through several larger
> efforts to build standards for more narrowly focused technologies, I
> begin to distrust anything that hasn't taken at least a year to work
> its way through a vigorous process.
>
> While the editors are to be commended for producing drafts so quickly,
> I haven't had the time to properly absorb what is on the agenda for
> today's meeting, let alone what the long term implications and
> ramifications of these definitions and terms actually represent.
> Perhaps as another indication of why I find this whole topic somewhat
> alarming for the rapidity with which it is overtaking both the trade
> press and the IT providers, I am actually getting an online demo of an
> SOA-specific product today, which I won't bother naming since I
> haven't had a chance to view it yet, but the very fact that it pushed
> its way on to my schedule after last week and in time to overlap with
> today's meeting, which I will attend even if I am not actively
> discussing much, supports my point--the hurrier I go the behinder I get.
>
> I think we will do ourselves a favor if we just slow down to a more
> deliberate pace, and let this initial flurry of attention and hype
> subside while we pore over this in a bit more thorough way. I
> recognize that this is unlikely to receive a favorable reception, but
> the faster we go, no matter how thorough we think we are being, the
> more I am convinced that our work will be flawed seriously for lack of
> enough time for our collection of brains to gain sufficient
> perspective to view our own enterprise here in a more balanced and
> objective way.
>
> However, in the end, what do I know? Not very bleeping much.
>
> Ciao,
> Rex

>> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 00:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: "Enterprise Applications at TechRepublic.com"
>> <CNET_Networks_Member_Services@newsletter.online.com>
>> To: rexb@starbourne.com
>> Subject: [TechRepublic] SOA model for enterprise apps

> [...]

Chair - OASIS Service Oriented Architecture Reference Model Technical Committee -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm
Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html