Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Good Recent SOA Piece: "Managing an XML Data Model In Your SOA - Best Practices"

The critical line in this article is

This article does not discuss how to integrate data models.

Its premise is the tried (and usually failed) that if we all get into a room and be reasonable we can all find a common vocabulary to map to. I could go on about when that works and when that doesn't (see my OASIS Symposium presentation for more) but if that is the basis of SOA, then it will go no further than any other integration paradigm. The driving question is how do you create a system (service?) to do semantic negotiation between diverse vocabularies in a way that is (1) visible, (2) reusable, and (3) allows you to use what you know (or can find) in ways that enables you to do more with little or no effort.

The SOA RM will not specify how this is done but it must also not codify an interchange vocabulary paradigm that will not scale.

End of rant:-)

Ken