Subject: Re: [soa-rm] SOA-RM draft in OpenOffice

Hamid,

Master drafts are published on Kavi as well, so I don't see how it is not open. The TC chose to elect me to perform this function since we have several "editors". There is an adequate process for changing the outline (email discussions, teleconferences, and face to face meetings, as well as a very efficient and well used "position paper" process which ensures that each member is given a way of explaining her ideas fully.

You were conspicuously absent during the 3 weeks where we were actively developing the outline on a wiki, and you have been absent for most discussions that have been held. It is hardly appropriate for you to show up mid-process and start complaining. Have some ideas? Discuss them with the list, and call into our meetings.

Thanks,

Matt

On 6-May-05, at 6:13 PM, Hamid Ben Malek wrote:

Matt,
Thanks for the explanation. What you are saying is very troubling indeed. This whole process as you describe it is not very open.

One person having complete and total control on how the draft is written and organized is very troubling. It may seem very appropriate to have one single copy of it that is not accessible by others, but there are so many disadvantages to this approach.

When a regular member of the TC modifies a draft and uploads it to the Oasis site, it does not mean that his/her modifications are permanent. Incorporating the modifications directly into the draft gives the author all the flexibility of expression, and it makes the document available to the TC for further discussions until the day of the vote where certain things may be adopted and others may be rejected and the editors of the spec would then do the clean up based on what was adopted and what was rejected by merging it into another draft with a different version that is also uploaded to the site. But this is not what is most troubling. What is most troubling is the fact that the whole set of place-holders and sections seems to have been fixed forever. What if a member wants to add other sections, or even modify the whole organization of the draft? I guess your answer would be that the time for adding place-holders was gone.

Thanks,

Hamid.
P.S. When you are done with your DocBook version, would you please at least upload the DocBook version?

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie [mailto:mattm@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 11:26 AM
To: Hamid Ben Malek
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Hamid,

2 things:

1) You are not an editor of the specification.  You do not sign up for
any sections when that was happening last week.
2) FYI, editors of the specification send their work to me in vanilla MS
Word format.  I take the submitted content and work it into the master
document.  There is only one copy of the master specification in play.
This master document *may* be maintained in docbook.  I am working on
the toolchain for that at the moment.

-Matt

--
Matthew MacKenzie