Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Why do we need SOA? (proposal for Introduction text)

Martin,

I think sometimes a discussion ends abruptly when someone captures
enough of the essence and we're not ready to delve into the specifics.
I agree wholeheartedly with answering the "why do we care?" question
and I like many of your ideas and would quibble with others.
Personally, I figured you'll make sure these ideas are added if they
are missing from the first editors' draft.  Right now, I'm looking
forward to seeing that first draft so I can start thinking about what
we have right, wrong, or somewhere in between.  To that end, I'd better
finish writing my sections :-)

Ken

On May 8, 2005, at 12:24 AM, Smith, Martin wrote:

> List - -
>
> I sent essentially this same message in the thread  "[soa-rm] When Is
> An SOA Really An SOA?"  a while back, but got no response.  Thought
> I'd try again to see if no-one noticed it or no-one liked it . . .
>
> I'm proposing we include something like the following in the
> Introduction.  As several people have observed, we all tended to jump
> right in to the details of "what is an SOA" without nailing down the
> answer to the "why should I [the reader] care?" question.  As we
> learned in the f2f discussion, many of us on the TC care because it's
> our job to explain to others why we all seem to think we need this
> 'SOA' thing (other than that it keeps being in the news!)  I'm
> guessing that if we can understand why SOA has become a buzzword,
> we'll  clarify the "essential definition" question.
>
> So, here's what I think is driving SOA:
>
> "The SOA concept has emerged in response to the need for an approach
> to application architecture that is well adapted to the Internet
> environment. The Internet has revolutionized personal communications
> with e-mail, and "B-to-C" transactions with the World-Wide Web.
> Following the exploitation path of other technologies, the Internet
> may be expected to have a similar revolutionary effect on "B-to-B"
> transactions - - automating system-to-system exchanges - - and this
> domain may eventually be several times larger in scale that the
> "B-to-C" space.
>
> The characteristics of the Internet environment to which the SOA
> concept responds are:
>
>         1.  Multiple management domains.--Business or other entities
> "on the 'Net" each have their own set of policies and procedures, and
> they are legal peers so there is little or no "top down governance" in
> the environment;
>
>         2.  Heterogeneous technologies, semantics and processes;
>         3.  A very large and dynamic "marketplace" of potential
> service providers and consumers.--Unlike the environment within a
> single organization, there may be many alternative providers of a
> computing service, and available services may change on a
> minute-by-minute basis;
>
>         4.  Lack of standard context.--Within a single organization,
> there is normally a body of "well-known" information about what
> resources are available, how they may be obtained, what standards or
> conventions they follow, specific interface details, reliability of
> the resource, payment requirements, if any, etc. In the environment of
> a single computer, the unknowns are even fewer.  Because of the size
> and diversity of the Internet, obtaining this information is a much
> larger problem.
>
>         5.  Lack of infrastructure services.--The Internet provides
> some basic services, but on a "best-efforts" basis. Thus issues like
> quality-of service and security require must be addressed more
> explicitly than in single-computer or local-network environments.

> [...]
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379