Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Why do we need SOA? (proposal for Introduction text)

Please see comments below marked with [JMC].

From: Hamid Ben Malek [mailto:HMalek@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 3:38 PM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Martin,

Here is a little bit of input you can chew on:

First, in trying to answer the question you are raising "Why do we need SOA?", it is worth to define the “we”. Depending on who is the “we” in your question, you will get various answers that may be complete opposites. For example, the “we” could be the big corporations such as Microsoft, IBM and the like (who are not interested in participating in the standardization of SOA-related things),

[JMC] I think you may have missed the announcement for the new WS-RX TC, not to mention WSS and other TCs :)

Kind Regards,

or the “we” could be the standard community that could be made up of individuals and/or small-to-medium companies. The “we” could also be the IT marketing groups worldwide, or the “we” could simply be the members of the SOA-RM TC, etc…

Concerning the sentence below (Quoting: “I agree that SOA is shaped by more than the Internet”), I do think that the Internet is The playground of SOA. It’s like the soccer field. Where would you play soccer? You may say “soccer is shaped by many things other than the soccer field, but then when it comes to play soccer, there is only one place, and that is the soccer field. If you are interested by the historical aspect of SOA (like from where it came, what caused it, and what it wants to accomplish?), it suffices it to only know this:

Fifteen years before the advent of the Internet, if somebody were to tell us about the Internet and how it is as we know it, it would have been hard to believe. The thing is that, even though the Internet seems sophisticated, it is only at its beginnings (like a baby who needs to grow up). One of the major goals of SOA is about the next generations of the Internet.

[JMC] Some may say that that is too strong a statement, and that the Semantic Web fits that bill.

Object-Orientation technology helped a lot in the design of applications that are enterprise-scoped (does not span beyond an enterprise boundaries). However, as successful as it is, Object-Orientation has its limits and is unable to go beyond the enterprise scope,

[JMC] I see these as orthogonal - in fact, one may have a service-oriented system (using Duane's suggested terminology - thanks Duane) that is object-oriented behind-the scenes, and the objects are layered by components, which are then layered by services, which may span enterprise boundaries. If anything, I would replace "Object-Orientation" above with "EAI".

and certainly not the instrument to drive the next generations of the Internet (which is by definition of bigger scope). A convergence of many ideas and technologies experienced with in the past (especially in the area of EAI,

[JMC] OK - I see you've mentioned EAI here :)

and event-driven models) helped in shaping a new IT revolution named SOA which is the instrument by which the next generation of the Internet will be constructed.

Hamid.