Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Good Recent SOA Piece:"Managing an XML Data Model In Your SOA - Best Practices"

Hmm - thought provoking.  Not sure it is relevant to the RM but feel it
is worth a discussion.

Statement: Mediation can overcome differences in data models.
Thoughts: Is it the actual data model or the serialization of the data
model that is transformed, validated etc?  If the data models are not
aligned by virtue of the fact an element that is mandatory in the target
is not present in the source, regardless of the serialization, this
cannot be overcome.  If it is mandatory and not included,  the
invocation request should fail.

IMO - mediation is an observable, perceived behavior, much like
computational intelligence.  If I tell someone that I am not coming to
work tomorrow, then tell them five minutes later to book and appointment
at the office with me tomorrow, an intelligent person should raise an
objection to the request based on the grounds I have stated I am not
going to be present.  Our corporate time management software can do the
same thing, yet it is not intelligent.  The observable behavior could
create the illusion of intelligence, much the same way negotiation may
be perceived.  The reality if that they can both be done with hard coded
declarations and decision points.

Any further thoughts???

Duane